Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Beginning

I began writing in high school when my English teacher Ms. Howie told me I could create stories and read them in front of the class instead of writing book reports! So I wrote "Investigation Earth," "Buried Alive!" and "The Star of Freedom." My grandmother, Genevieve Smith would type these stories for me on her old typewriter which she willed to me when she passed on. My favorite was "Investigation Earth," as it was about an alien who came to earth and was supposed to destroy the earth. Instead, he fell in love with a woman, played football, went to the Vietnam War and saved the Earth.

I would sit in my room in an old two story house in Arcadia, California and write at  antique desk with a fold down top. I had a flowered chair upholstered in my favorite colors of blue and green on which I would sit to get ideas.  The ideas would just come. I could hear a voice actually telling me the stories. If I ever couldn't think of the ending or got stuck, I would go to bed and just know that it would be solved in the morning. The answer always came.

2 comments:

  1. Maureen,

    You're not going to believe this, but the first story I remember writing was in the third grade, and it was called, "I Married a Man from Mars."

    My teacher, Miss Camaras said I was the only one in class who knew how to write a tall tale. (That was the assignment.)

    Good luck with your new blog.

    Love,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. So do you write now? You story might fit right in with the times!

      Delete