Friday, September 7, 2012

Author Divya Maureen Quinlan: The Beginning

9/7/2012

In 1978,  I began writing again. I had moved onto a 30 foot sailboat called Arke with my boyfriend in 1975. We lived in the moorings between Lido Island and Balboa Peninsula. We rowed out to the boat and left our dinghy Sunstone at the dock. We lived with the birds--seagulls, cormorants and terns. I felt that I lived in paradise. It was true. We had no phone, address, or electricity. We charged our batteries with an alternator charge control system. Pretty soon we discovered other people who lived there and  the Tin Can Club was formed.

I wrote about everything I saw. My first article was called "Bob Is Captain Dawn Is Crew." published in CASTOFF magazine.  I was writing under the pseudonym of Dawn Walker at this time. Soon after they also published "Could That Be Food" about the seaweed that we found there on the mooring buoys.By 1980, my article "The World Is My Home" was sold to CRUISING WORLD an international magazine!! "Catalina 30 The Family Cruiser" and  "Beyond Conception" were published the the in house Catalina magazine.  Then "A Sailor Is Born" was published in 1986 by CRUISING WORLD!

We had sold our mooring and were now cruising up and down the California coast. I began to write children's stories and a screenplay called "The World Is my Home." Every time, I would meet someone who would show me the next step in my writing path.  I wrote a children's novel in 1984 called HALLOWEEN BRIGADE. I was guided to write shorter children's books and in 1986 created the original BAGGY DUCK OF RAINBOW'S END for my son as his first reader. It was done in calligraphy!

My son was getting older and we came into San Diego Bay.  We found a dock after ten years of being offshore!  I began to take all of my published writings and journals and spent the next five years putting it into a book called A WRITER IS BORN.

No comments:

Post a Comment